Old 21-06-2010, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle Mike Lyle is offline

Default Turnips - how to store?

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote
Bob Hobden wrote:
wrote
anon-y-mouse wrote:
David in Normandy contains these words:

Swedes are the "turnips" they use in Cornish Pasties ( together
with onion, potato and beef skirt) so as they grow so well in
Cornwall I would think they might do well in France too. I'd
give them a go anyway
just to see.

Ah, but they are the orangey flesh swedes in an oggie, (refered to
as neaps in Scotland - i believe).

Actually, no, in both cases. 'True' turnips were used in pasties
when available, and the Scottish term 'neeps' applies to both.
The term "swede" stands for "Swedish turnip", which were introduced
in the late 18th century (according to the OED). Regarding the
two as very separate is a modern English habit.

I wouldn't like to be the one to tell my friend, a prize winning
Cornish Pasty maker, that she and her family have been using the
wrong ingredient for generations. :-)

Both kinds are the wrong ingredient for /anything/. Yuk! I get
through Burns Nicht with the aid of copious quantities of butter and
pepper on the neeps, and whisky on the taste-buds.

Ah, but when a Pasty is made properly it takes on a taste of it's
own, you can't actually taste the individual ingredients they meld
into something wonderful.

Well, all right: that makes sense. I'm reluctant to give up on a
foodstuff, and usually find there's a method I don't mind.

--
Mike.