Old 22-06-2010, 12:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default The curse of BER

Dan L. wrote:

Hmmm ... how much dolomite should I add to a 22 inch pot with 2
cubic feet of soil? Or does it matter? I mean the plant will take
it up as needed. Can you overdose?

Paul

You can overdose because dolomite will raise the pH, so it would be
good to know the pH before you start. For tomatoes you are looking
for pH about 6 to 6.5 IIRC. I would try about half a cup. It isn't
very soluble so it will take a while to work.

David

Warning!!! - Dolomite can be very nasty stuff to handle. Use a
respirator mask! Not some simple dust mask! Dolomite can burn your
soil (and your lungs) if too much is applied. I suggest a non burning
form of agricultural lime. There are some forms of lime that are
pelletized and much much safer (mask may OR may not be needed) and
easier to use.

I had always considered dolomite to be one iof the fairly benign
agricultural minerals and the possibility of it doing personal harm is new
to me.

Dolomite is calcium magnesium carbonate. It is slightly soluble and mildly
alkaline in water, very much like agricultural lime. It is often used in
place of lime to raise pH and/or to add magnesium if the soil is deficient.
It can contain impurities of heavy metals but so can gypsum and other
agricultural minerals, the risk with these is cumulative build-up rather
than immediate damage.

What do you mean by "it can burn your lungs"? What damage would it do?

What do you mean by "burn your soil"? What would happen? How is it
different to "non burning agricultural lime" (which is calcium carbonate)
other than the presence of magnesium as well as calcium? How does the
magnesium make it dangerous?

If you are not in a position to supply details yourself please give a
reference to this information.

David