Old 22-06-2010, 02:33 AM posted to rec.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default The curse of BER

"Paul M. Cook" wrote in message news:hvo20u$kc8
"Paul M. Cook" wrote in message

I water daily because the plants suck up all the water during the day.
They are not overwatered. I water just until I see a little seapage
from the bottom of the pots. Big plants, warm and breezy days mean a
lot of transpiration.

You are using pots and you admit that these dry out daily. Either take
on board the message the BER comes as a result of inconsistent watering,
which is what you are doing by using pots, or start planting your toms

in the ground where they might have a fighting chance to avoid BER.

I guess I am finding it hard to believe that these plants require such a
delicate balance to thrive, or even do reasonably well.

You seem to be increasing the difficulty by looking at everything but the
most obvious. Toms aren't all that delicate. They aren't as tough as old
boots, but they also aren't very hard to grow if you live in a climate where
there is sufficient heat.

If you have 2 ft pots that dry out during the day, you have enough heat.
Reread the thread. If you sort out your watering problems and then still
have problems, that is the time to come back with questions about additives
or other problems etc.