Old 21-06-2010, 09:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jeff Thies Jeff Thies is offline

Default Can Photosynthesis be enhanced?

Bill who putters wrote:
I once tried using red plastic as a means to give the crops more useful
light.

Something he
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_spectrum

That was in my Dad's garden now gone. So I am stuck with much
shade and a oak scorch disease so I am very reluctant to take out
healthy trees.

So groping for a way to deal with lack of sun was wondering would a
mirror convey the full spectrum for my plants? Or must I cut till the
plants say OK?
Son broke a large mirror that I have held onto hoping for a use.

Metalized mylar might be a thought, very cheap. Stretch it on a frame,
probably cut some flaps to cut wind loading. Or just cut in strips so
wind can blow through.

Jeff

It is not that I have not looked about but I favor natural /cheap stuff.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6110867.html