Old 21-06-2010, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bertie Doe Bertie Doe is offline

Default butternut squash

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
Having been terribly late to get going in the garden
this year, it was
only in mid May that I got started in earnest, digging,
weeding and
planting a number of plants - rather than seed -
acquired at my local
garden centre.
Among many other things that are merrily thriving, I
bought a couple
of courgettes, which are doing great, and two butternut
squashes just
because I love the veg, and thought that it could be
grown here
(Eastern Midlands of Ireland) if it was available in
the garden
centre.

My butternut squashes are struggling and I live in
Cornwall. I'm convinced it's the low nightime
temperatures. Maybe things will improve if there is a
change in the pattern of NE winds and lack of cloud
cover?

Bertie