Old 22-06-2010, 11:59 AM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat(h) View Post
One of my two squashes has now all but disappeared, after looking very
sorry for itself - limp, pale, etc.
The second one appeared to be heading the same way, but is now
apparently picking up. I don't know if it is the return of very
summery temperatures and full sun, or what. What are the chances of my second squash surviving and fruiting, and
what can I do to give it the best possible chances?
They don't like it cool. Mid-May was too early to plant it out, especially this year which had a cold patch mid-May.

My experience of squashes is that if they have had a rough patch in their youth, they tend not to do very much later on. I have a sad experience of going on holiday in June for a fortnight, finding them having suffered from teh weather in my absence, and never really getting going again to the huge vigour they should have.

It should now be growing mile-a-minute. They need a lot of leaf to be able to support the expansion of their huge fruits. If it isn't, you'll probably be disappointed.

You might also have greater success if you secure seed of special non-commercial varieties selected to grow well in These Islands' cooler conditions than the areas where they are commercially grown, rather than taking seeds out of a supermarket butternut, or some plant of unknown variety picked up from a seller who isn't telling you.