Old 22-06-2010, 06:08 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill who putters Bill who putters is offline

Default are they safe?

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
habitat wrote:

Hello guys! Are goldfish safe in a garden pond?

I'm planning to put goldfish in my garden pond.

Do you have raccoons, or similar creatures? Be sure the pond is deep.

I guess I killed Banter. Biggest problem I can think of is
chlorinated water.

In a pond?

Sure if you have city water.

http://www.aquarium-pond-answers.com...r-conditioners.
html

I have well water no chlorine no chemicasl no filter just an air stone
and frequent water removal. Pond is over 35 years old.

When I think pond, I'm thinking a hole in the ground, or are we talkin'
a gentrified, plug-in kind of a deal? Even with city water, if the
addition is small enough, though pr'aps continuous, I don't see a
problem. The above site does have a conflict of interest in giving
information, and trying to make a profit at the same time. Kinda like
Northrup-Grumann, and Lockheed Martin opining about national security.

Many ways to make a pond I chose poured concrete. Some go with a
plastic liner. Some info from the 60's said lining your hole with
organic matter would form a seal. This Large Scale BTW. This was a
Russian technique.
My suggestion to future son in law with city water and liner. Purchase
cheap fish and wait a year. Plants like water hyacinth add O2 and food
but the purity aka dead water in my perspective takes time to mellow or
find its own center. With acid rain it gets more complicated too.

That site I posted wants to sell chemicals because of a chemical
problem. Round and round it goes etc.

http://www.permies.com/permaculture-...ture/gley-tech
nique-for-sealing-ponds-and-dams-and-walls

http://www.google.com/search?client=...ond+Organic +
matter&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Ponds and water reflection noise movement add or make an environment
that attracts life and beauty. Worth the work.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?