Old 22-06-2010, 04:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Bill who putters Bill who putters is offline

Default Can Photosynthesis be enhanced?

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

Bill who putters wrote:
I once tried using red plastic as a means to give the crops more
useful
light.

Something he
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_spectrum

That was in my Dad's garden now gone. So I am stuck with much
shade and a oak scorch disease so I am very reluctant to take out
healthy trees.

So groping for a way to deal with lack of sun was wondering would a
mirror convey the full spectrum for my plants? Or must I cut till
the
plants say OK?
Son broke a large mirror that I have held onto hoping for a use.

Metalized mylar might be a thought, very cheap. Stretch it on a frame,
probably cut some flaps to cut wind loading. Or just cut in strips so
wind can blow through.

Jeff

It is not that I have not looked about but I favor natural /cheap
stuff.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6110867.html

http://www.chelseagreen.com/content/...ight-to-boost-
indoor-food-production/

Thanks Jeff and Billy.

I still think the shading trees must be culled.

I'll do this in small increments striving to get stuff and let other
stuff live. I am constrained by a neighbor that does not have a clue
and my brothers on the left. I can talk my brother into a possible
remedy but I sort of feel even with the "great dimming light " issue it
will be most likely I can grow mostly greens.
Such is life but I do have Tomatoes and Jumbo beans on the verge of
entering my body. Lots of Thyme and mint but I really miss the sun in
some fundamental way.

Any chance of going vertical to get more light? Either vines (pole
beans, or climbing zucchini (http://agsyst.wsu.edu/Zucchetta.html),
keyhole gardens, or hanging pots?

In a way the tomatoes now about 4 foot vertical and beans 2 foot
vertical are trying for more light on their own. Saw the site and may
try some of the squash written about. My patty pans seen like the best
solution is to cascade out of the bed going for surface area.
Taking out a Mangolia this fall and one or two oaks. One is close to
the house but shade gardening was my forte but sun rules with edibles
and I do like fresh picked and I want I want I want.

God maybe I'll spray my plants with D3 KIDDING.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?