Old 22-06-2010, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default butternut squash

mogga wrote:
I think it's normal for butternut to be much later than courgettes. My
butternut aren't even out of the greenhouse yet (more due to lack of time
than design, but I dont' expect them to suffer)

Oh that's good then! I don't feel so bad now!

Last year my butternuts were a last minute "oops, guess what we forgot!!"
crop, and iirc we got 48 fruits in a 1m wide full width of the allotment.
It was a stunning amount of fruit! Unfortunately frost damaged a lot of
them in store when someone (mentioning no names) left the summerhouse door
open!

I've not picked mine yet - got two approaching readiness.

*nod* One that I could have picked on Sunday I decided to leave for another
few days, whih probably means it will be munched by slugs by tomorrow. :-(

Melons! Not thought of them! Must consider them for next year!

I grew about 6 plants last year (ogen, hero of lockinge and green nutmeg
iirc) - some from bought seeds, some from seed swap at Hampshire potato day.
I got 2 good size fruit and 1 that didn't get time to get big enough to be
edible. The plants went mental, totally took over the greenhouse and had a
huge barney with the tomatoes they met at the top (cos I was naughty and
didn't nip the tops off the cherry toms last year)

The whole greenhouse was like some kind of jungle vine playground! :-)

The 2 melons we got were absolutely delicious, though, I was very proud of
them!