Old 22-06-2010, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Daddy Tadpole Daddy Tadpole is offline

Default Electrical Plug & Socket for Garden Tools

Assuming you're in the UK, your basic requirement is a standard 13 amp
socket strip with a 30 milliamp earth leackage circuit breaker.I live in a
foreign place, but without getting technical or argumentative, the
explanation is that the traditional UK wiring rules don't provide enough
protection for outside sockets or appliances. An ordinary householder should
have no need for plugs other than the normal 13 amp ones.

Advice and regulations are based on statistics (dead child count, etc),
which are gathered internationally but don't seem to be adequately
publicised. Rules and regulations go down better if the reasons are
provided.

Nowadays all mains sockets have shutters, which are particularly effective
with the UK design of plug. What I can't understand is the regulatory
insistence on additional childproofing devices.

Regards

"Richard" a écrit dans le message de
One day I simply cut the cables to my strimmer and hedge cutter with the
view to attach a plug to both. Now I've got around to attaching a plug.

I have at home an orange-coloured socket and I thought it might be used by
all garden tool manufacturers - a kind of univerally used socket.

Well, I notice that it's made by Black & Decker and I wonder if it's Black
& Decker's own product and not universally used by other manufacturers.
It's marked 844840.

I wonder if these plugs and sockets (Black & Decker) are still the norm.
Or obsolete.

I guess I can try to get two matching plugs for the socket I have.

Or, are we in a situation of needing to get a current (no pun intended) or
up-to-date plug and socket combination?

Is there a universally used plug and socket combination these days for
garden tools?

TIA.