Old 23-06-2010, 02:59 AM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default Solstice

On Jun 21, 6:57*pm, Billy wrote:
So we are met again at the long and the short of it. Here's wishing you
in the global south a fecund year in which your labor is amply rewarded,
and may your trials be few. I hope your hours of winter planning will
adorn many a dinner table with many colors, smells and tastes. In a few
scant weeks, some of you will begin the germination of this years crops.

Rebirth for you, and the harvesting of what we've sown for us.

Good luck.

I always dread the summer Solstice because it means that the days will
be getting shorter.
I HATE the early dark; I fold up like a flower when the sun goes
down. The ideal would
be to go to the other side of the world for half the year. But no...

Crop-wise, I lost a full month when I was out of the country in early
Spring, when I would
normally be putting in crops. After too much travel and a lot of
fatigue, I finally got
my act together, but everything will be late this year. Fortunately
we have a long growing
season. If all goes well, there will be lots of corn and cucumbers,
and maybe those
young watermelon and cantaloupe plants will produce fruit.

I picked the first yellow wax beans yesterday. MOST productive plants
I have ever hard.
They roared up out of the seeds and began producing like demons. Last
year, almost zip.
Go figure.

Dwarf orange is -- sssssshhhh - I don't want the jealous gods to hear
-- finally producing!
This is the first of at least 3 previous tries which went nowhere. So
I'm hoping that those
lovely little green spheres will get bigger and bigger and bigger,
till about January, there
will be orange FRUIT!