Old 23-06-2010, 12:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
someone someone is offline

Default encouraging striking

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
On the "plants for a future" web site they suggest encouraging arbutus
cuttings to strike by

"They are a bit slow to root and you often get a poor percentage take. To
improve this, try soaking some chopped willow twigs in cold water for 24
hours and then watering the cuttings with this water. The willow bark
contains root-promoting hormones and will encourage root formation in the
cuttings. "

Now there's a thought! Would this work with other cuttings? Not being very
scientifically trained I don't know if this theory has a basis of truth.

I was thinking of trying it on other cuttings!

This brought to mind something I read a few weeks ago about watering a
sickly orchid plant with a small pinch of aspirin in the water. Apparently
it is supposed to get rid of some orchid virus or other. Aspirin is of
course salicylic acid, from willow trees.

someone