Old 23-06-2010, 03:44 AM posted to rec.gardens
Paul M. Cook Paul M. Cook is offline

Default The curse of BER

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

u...
"Paul M. Cook" wrote in message
u...
"Paul M. Cook" wrote in message news:hvo20u$kc8
"Paul M. Cook" wrote in message

I water daily because the plants suck up all the water during the
day. They are not overwatered. I water just until I see a little
seapage from the bottom of the pots. Big plants, warm and breezy
days mean a lot of transpiration.

You are using pots and you admit that these dry out daily. Either
take on board the message the BER comes as a result of
inconsistent watering, which is what you are doing by using
pots,
or start planting your toms in the ground where they might have a
fighting chance to avoid BER.

I guess I am finding it hard to believe that these plants require
such
a delicate balance to thrive, or even do reasonably well.

You seem to be increasing the difficulty by looking at everything but
the most obvious. Toms aren't all that delicate. They aren't as
tough
as old boots, but they also aren't very hard to grow if you live in a
climate where there is sufficient heat.

If you have 2 ft pots that dry out during the day, you have enough
heat.
Reread the thread. If you sort out your watering problems and then
still have problems, that is the time to come back with questions
about
additives or other problems etc.

I do not have a watering issue. None, zip, nada, zero.

There seems to be someone posting using your name and saying different
things over several posts.

I'll repeat, it is *not* a watering issue. Unless these damn things are
so
delicate they rot out if the moisture fluctuates 1%.

Paul

From the top.

BER is said to occur when there is
1) uneven watering,
2) drought,
3) heavy rainfall,
4) excessive nitrogen fertilization,
5) rapid plant growth or root pruning during cultivation,
6) high winds and rapid temperature changes.

The rapid plant growth and nitrogen fertilization are both common to
conditions seen early in the season, when most BER occurs.

THEN IT USUALLY GOES AWAY.

BER occurs because under the above conditions, Ca++ moves from the fruit
into the stems of the plant. Some feel that Ca++ never reaches the
fruits because under stress, demand for Ca++ exceeds supply.

This reduced amount of Ca++ is what causes BER. Excessive rates of
transpiration (kind of like sweating in humans) also is involved in Ca++
displacement. Thus, the plant as a whole is NOT Ca++ deficient, the Ca++
has just been displaced.

University field trial experiments have so far failed to show that BER
can be prevented by addition of Ca++. Peppers and some cole crops are
also susceptible to BER and Ca++ addition for those crops also.

The results are the same; addition of Ca++ does not prevent BER.

I very well could have overdid it with the nitrogen. I am cutting way back
on the fertilize, perhaps none for 2 weeks or so. I just water the plant as
much as it needs. Unless my 7 dollar meter is junk that is. When the
moisture level at 3-4 inches is just above the dry mark I add water. Some
days are cool enough I don't add water for 2 days, others every day.

Paul