Old 23-06-2010, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h) Cat(h) is offline

Default butternut squash

On Jun 22, 6:41*pm, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:
"Cat(h)" wrote in message

Having been terribly late to get going in the garden this year, it was
only in mid May that I got started in earnest, digging, weeding and
planting a number of plants - rather than seed - acquired at my local
garden centre.
Among many other things that are merrily thriving, I bought a couple
of courgettes, which are doing great, and two butternut squashes just
because I love the veg, and thought that it could be grown here
(Eastern Midlands of Ireland) if it was available in the garden
centre.
One of my two squashes has now all but disappeared, after looking very
sorry for itself - limp, pale, etc.
The second one appeared to be heading the same way, but is now
apparently picking up. *I don't know if it is the return of very
summery temperatures and full sun, or what. *I do water my plantings
when needed - not normally the case in Ireland, but we are having a
very dry spell, so I water every few days.
I should say all above are planted in full sun, but outside - I have
neither green house nor polytunnel.
What are the chances of my second squash surviving and fruiting, and
what can I do to give it the best possible chances?

***
I had to rescue a butternut squash from our allotment.
It is now back in a pot and slowly reviving.
The one in a tub on the patio is doing a lot better but not looking
particularly agressive.
The two courgettes still at the allotment have settled in and are a nice
dark green with whitish veinns on the leaves and are just starting to fruit.
I now don't know if I should take the healthier butternut squash to the
allotment for a chance to stretch its legs, or keep it back at home where it
will be a bit restricted.
It has been a strange year so far.

Cheers

Dave R

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

Thank you all for your contributions. The remaining squash is
growing, but not a mile a minute. I guess I'll have to continue
watering, feeding, talking to it, playing it classical music and a bit
of rap, and all that. And learn from the experience whether it is
worth bothering with again next year...

Caít()