Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
LeighMo

Default setting up a planted aquarium HELP!!!

This is my second time setting up a planted aquarium I have a 33 Gallons
with 2 tube of 30W, last time I had too much algae and my plants die very
quickly, I also had an undergravel filter, this time I bought new gravel (10
Kg / 22 lbs) and a bag of Seachem Flourite Red (7 Kg. / 15.4 lbs) and I
remove the undergravel filter, I first put the Flourite and after the gravel
I put the water very carefull and I'm running the filter to clearfy the
water, what else should I do to have a nice planted aquarium, what cain of
plants should I plant, do I need more ligth??? please let me know all I
could do to make it grow ....

Sounds like you're off to a good start, with adequate lighting and an enriched
substrate. (But how deep is your substrate? One bag of Flourite and 10 kg of
regular gravel doesn't sound like much. I used three bags of Flourite for my
29 gallon tank. The substrate should be at least 2" deep, and 3"-4" is
better.)

Anyway, you should be okay, as long as you are careful in what plants you
choose. You have less than 2 watts per gallon, but a 33 gallon tank is shallow
-- only 12" deep -- so that should be enough light to grow many plants.

What plants do you want to grow? The main thing is to avoid plants are are not
true aquatics, and to stick with fast-growing, undemanding plants (at least at
first). Starting out with lots of fast-growing plants will prevent algae
problems.

Leigh