Old 24-06-2010, 03:45 AM posted to rec.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Will 25 tomato plants be enough for two people?

"EVP MAN" wrote in message

My wife and I both love fresh tomatoes for the table. We don't do any
caning. I planted 25 tomato plants this year but four of these are
cherry type tomatoes. We can each eat five or six tomatoes a day so I
hope that I have enough for the two of us until the frost in the fall
destroys the plants. Should this be enough or should I consider
planting a dozen or so more plants that mature very early?

It should be enough given the number you say you both eat, but then every
year is different.

In my locale, I'd be planning on preserving quite a load of toms if I had
that many plants for the two of us and I'd still give away a lot. I can
normally do that from about 6-8 plants and the occasional volunteer plant
but last year was a pig of a year and we only got enough for the table and
friends.