Old 25-06-2010, 10:14 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Joe[_12_] Joe[_12_] is offline

Default major rain now major algae bloom

wrote:

On Jun 21, 7:12 am, Phyllis and Jim wrote:
Pulling the string algae serves you twice: It removes the algae and
it removes the nutrients. Nice yield!

Ok, if I don't have enough string algae to pull it out, but my water
is completly green, can't even see the fish! What is my best option.
Two weeks ago, I treated it with products, cost me 60$ and it's all
back this week. I can't keep forking out 60$ every two weeks. There
must be a better solution. I have no room to add a plant filter. My
pond is 15 by 21, 2 feet at it's deepest with a waterfall and bioball
filter.
Help please!
Martine in Ottawa

Try to avoid the chemical response. All that happens is you pour crap in,
kills the algae which, of course, you don't remove and that triggers even
more algae.

Algae thrives on sunlight. Try growing more water lilies to cover the pond.
Put plants in the water that will compete with the algae. Plant shade around
the pond. Suspended algae can also be treated with a UV filter, it works but
is an expensive alternative.

To be honest, if I had room for a 15' x 21' pond, I'd find room for a plant
filter. It doesn't need to be that big - just something to compete with the
algae.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.