Old 26-06-2010, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
martin martin is offline

Default Gryllotalpa gryllotalpa European Mole Cricket

On 26/06/10 11:27, rbel wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 23:31:17 +0200, Martin wrote:

On 25/06/10 22:30, Ragnar wrote:
"Martin" wrote in message
My wife has these in her allotment. They are munching her root
vegetables. They seem to be common in the Netherlands but rare in UK.
http://www.nhm.ac.uk/about-us/news/2...news_6328.html
How does one get rid of them?

Do we understand that your mole crickets are in the Netherlands? You
don't
actually say so.

True. I am in NL. All I want to know is how to get rid of them. It's
strange that the Netherlands populated the USA with mole crickets via
exported flower bulbs, but none seem to have found their way to UK.

As Mole Crickets are such a rarity in the UK specific controls are a bit
thin on the ground here. In parts of world where it is an agricultural
pest they (used to?) use organophosphates but it is now likely that
biological controls are available - whether you are able to access them
is another matter. A quick Google search turned up this which seems a
bit hit and miss but may be worth trying http://tinyurl.com/35l5x55

Thanks. Pesticides are not allowed on the allotments.
Drowning them using a garden hose is worth a try.
I don't think the claim that birds etc.will eliminate them naturally.
They live in tunnels under our potatoes and other root crops and don't
appear to come out into the open.