Old 27-06-2010, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Lily problems

Bob Hobden wrote:
Similar story here, found 4 or 5 of them several months ago, and not found
any since, but one set of flowers (white with pink edging, most recently
bought, not the ones that have been in the ground for up to a year) is
really badly munched. They were munched before the flowers opened.
As of yet, no munching on the others (which are elsewhere in the garden)

Spray them all asap in the hope you will save them. Next year spray them all
as a matter of course as soon as you see one insect.
Or IME give up trying to grow them.

What do you spray them with? I won't use generic insecticide, and as far as
I know, there isn't anything that specifically targets lily beetle.

Incidentally, I've never seen them hit the day lily (I don't know if day
lilies are actually botanically lilies or some other species, I've never got
round to investigating them as they've never given me any trouble so far)