Old 27-06-2010, 05:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Will 25 tomato plants be enough for two people?

On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 11:40:03 -0400, Phisherman
wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 11:30:15 -0400, (EVP MAN)
wrote:

My wife and I both love fresh tomatoes for the table. We don't do any
caning. I planted 25 tomato plants this year but four of these are
cherry type tomatoes. We can each eat five or six tomatoes a day so I
hope that I have enough for the two of us until the frost in the fall
destroys the plants. Should this be enough or should I consider
planting a dozen or so more plants that mature very early?

Rich

Plant early varieties and late varieties. Yield varies depending on
sunlight, temperature, water, soil conditions, polinating insects,
etc. Staking tomatoes may somewhat reduce the yield of a plant,
allowing them to vine on the ground usually helps yield but you should
the fruit off the ground with straw. A tomato plant in Ohio will
typically outperform a similar tomato plant in east Tennessee because
tomato plants like cooler nights.

Nightshades do much better with warm nights