Old 27-06-2010, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lily problems

"Jake" wrote in message

What do you spray them with? I won't use generic insecticide, and as far
as
I know, there isn't anything that specifically targets lily beetle.

Incidentally, I've never seen them hit the day lily (I don't know if day
lilies are actually botanically lilies or some other species, I've never
got
round to investigating them as they've never given me any trouble so far)

They were in the family Liliaceae, but are now considered to be
Hemerocallidaceae.

I use Provado Ultimate Bug Killer (you can get it in aerosol form if
you're wealthy but it's also around in a normal trigger gun for a lot
less). I spray in the late evening when bees and the like have gone to
bed. Once it dries, it's systemic and so only kills the beetles and
their grubs as they munch the leaves. Repeat spray abourt a month
later.

Yes, Provado Ultimate Bug Killer in the aerosol can (imidacloprid +
methiocarb) is the only thing which works consistently against lily beetle.
Note that all the other Provado Ultimate products - no matter how similar
the containers look - contain only imidacloprid and are pretty ineffective
against lily beetle.

However, I agree with Bob. Grow something else that the lily beetle is not
attracted to.

--

Jeff