Old 27-06-2010, 10:06 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
[email protected] martine.peters@uqo.ca is offline

Default major rain now major algae bloom

On 26 juin, 00:30, Chip wrote:
On 6/25/2010 2:14 PM, Joe wrote:

wrote:

On Jun 21, 7:12 am, Phyllis and wrot

e:
Pulling the string algae serves you twice: It removes the algae an

it removes the nutrients. Nice yield!

Ok, if I don't have enough string algae to pull it out, but my water
is completly green, can't even see the fish! What is my best option.
Two weeks ago, I treated it with products, cost me 60$ and it's all
back this week. I can't keep forking out 60$ every two weeks. There
must be a better solution. I have no room to add a plant filter. My
pond is 15 by 21, 2 feet at it's deepest with a waterfall and bioball
filter.
Help please!
Martine in Ottawa

Try to avoid the chemical response. All that happens is you pour crap i

n,
kills the algae which, of course, you don't remove and that triggers ev

en
more algae.

Algae thrives on sunlight. Try growing more water lilies to cover the p

ond.
Put plants in the water that will compete with the algae. Plant shade a

round
the pond. Suspended algae can also be treated with a UV filter, it work

s but
is an expensive alternative.

To be honest, if I had room for a 15' x 21' pond, I'd find room for a p

lant
filter. It doesn't need to be that big - just something to compete with

the
algae.

There is an approach in Europe that I have looked at- Natural swimming
pools. They take about 1/3rd the pool, build a wall across it that top

about 4" below the water level. They plant that third w/ veggies and
circulate water through it and over the top of the wall. They have
PUBLIC swimming pools that use NO clorine or chems. A veggie filter IN
the pool. Sounds like your pond might be an ideal candidate for this
approach. Can be DIY, just stack a row or two of concrete blocks.

http://www.thedailygreen.com/green-h...-swimming-pool...

Chip

Oh, after seeing those ponds, I want to remodel the entire backyard!
We should have seen this before we put in our pond last summer.
Definitely would have gone for that! But for now, hubby says no way,
too much work and too expensive. So instead we have decided to look
for a UV filter to help control the algae in our pond. We have been
looking on the Internet for types and prices. Does anyone know of JEBO
36 WATT UV STERILIZER POND AQUARIUM W/POWERHEAD ? It is anygood? Does
anyone have a specific UV filter to recommend? Our pond is
approximatly 3500 gallons.
Recommandations?
Martine from Ottawa