Old 28-06-2010, 01:59 PM posted to aus.gardens
terryc terryc is offline

Default A smart new winter garden predator

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 14:09:34 +0800, Loosecanon wrote:

Did you make a Daniel Boone type hat? Wait you didn't bait it?

Nope, we just took it to the pound like the two catches before it and
they destroy them for free.
The load after was the four kittens, of which two were very friendly. The
pound keeps kittens for a while and if selected, they get the full
treatment(desexed, vaccinated and chipped) before being handed over.

As a matter of interest was your trap like this or did it have a trip
plate: -

http://www.bellsouth.com.au/images/16.1/ptrap.JPG

No.

Mine has a hook at the back which supposedly the cat pushes and the door
falls down. I have lent the trap to people and they used cooked
porterhouse steak to catch the cats.

Ours has a tray which, when the animal treads on it releases a catch
letting the door drop. Trick is to put the food in a little container
right up the other end.

Generally we just used cheap cat nibbles. if they don't work at first, we
will drop a thin trail (1/foot) leading away from the cage. Twigged to
that when we threw some old nibbles out onto our unmown lawn and our cat
thought it was great fun to go around sniffing the lawn and finding them
(after ignoring them for a week inside).