Old 28-06-2010, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
®óñ© © ²°¹° ®óñ©  ©  ²°¹° is offline

Default What to do with a very old and overgrown Fuchsia?

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 09:11:46 +0100, Michael Bell
wrote:

I have a Fuchsia in my garden 5 ft high and diameter, obviously very
old, untended for many years before I moved some branches are dead. It
must have been magnificent in its prime, but now...

So what to do? Uproot it and replace it? Cut it back hard? How hard?

I have 2 of those in my garden. Every year, after the first frosts I
savagely attack them and reduce all the stems to 12" long.

In the spring I remove any obviously dead wood and very thin twigs
then leave them alone.

Both are thriving.

--