Old 29-06-2010, 02:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Return On Investment

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

songbird wrote:
we have wandered far afield,

Only to those not paying attention. My point about organic, before you
launched into your unsupported attack on "organic", was the when you get
organic, you get more nutrients into your diet. If the enhanced
nutrition of "organic" kept you from getting sick, then that would be a
good deal wouldn't it? There are an increasing number of studies showing
enhanced levels of vitamins in organic produce. More over vitamins have
only been recognized for about 100 years. Now there appears to be
another class of compounds, flavonols
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flavonoid, which are important to human
health. We wondered from your field to point out that part of the
benefit of growing organic was to eat healthier foods. Cheap food that
lets you get sick isn't such a good deal. Or as they say about
Americans, we are over fed and under nourished.
but i'm going to return and ask
about the two calorie output vs
one Billy pulled out of ?

If you don't have my 9:46 AM post from today, I'll happily repost it for
you.

I would be interested to see that too.

and the other question for
Billy is how does organic
gardening sequester carbon
dioxide?

Also in the 9:46 AM post

I am guessing that in the long term organic horticulture has only a mild
effect in storage. If you have 10% organic material in your soil you are
sequestering more carbon than if you have 1% but it isn't going to be a big
carbon sink. Assuming that you can still feed the numbers required. OTOH
if you don't use all the chemferts that require energy to manufacture then
you are saving some at that end.

Long story short, charcoal can last 50,000 years, and it can have the
added benefit of improving the fertility of the soil.
--
- Billy
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/6/2...al_crime_scene