Old 29-06-2010, 06:50 PM
Suebdo Suebdo is offline
Registered User

I thought it was a Allium, but it has had no flowers. I thought some would come, but they haven't. Just the seed pods. No even very small flowers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Una View Post
Agree it is an Allium, and apomictic: it has seedlings (bulbils)
growing out of its flowers.

A number of cultivated species in the onion genus Allium do this.
A common one is "pregnant onion", one or more varieties of Allium
cepa, the common onion. Possibly this is the same as Bill's
"walking Egyptian onion", but that name can refer to another
species, Allium proliferum, which may itself be a cross between
A. cepa and A. fistulosum.

("Pregnant onion" can also refer to Ornithogalum longebracteatum,
which is no kind of onion.)

Una