Old 30-06-2010, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Christina Websell[_2_] Christina Websell[_2_] is offline

Default Dead Chicken :'(

wrote in message

The boys are taking it well. Benjamin has already asked if we can get a
black one next. No idea why. Nick has his heart set on one with blue or
green eggs, though.

Remind him you do not eat the shell ;-) What is inside is the same.

You need Welbars for green/blue eggs - or pure bred Araucanas/
For a completely black chicken, Black Leghorn might suit. They are quite
good layers of big eggs, although the eggs are white.
Do consider rescuing some ex-batts, though. You can get as few as four.
I don't regret getting my 4 (3 within 36 hours :-( )
They can look oven ready when you get them, but I find children often like
the idea of getting them back to health, seeing the new feathers coming etc.
My 3 (which I got just before last Christmas) are laying like stink. Which
is sad in a way as they were off out of the battery they were in to be stock
cubes and chicken pies unless for

http://exbatteryhens.webs.com/batter...lfaretrust.htm

These hens have a lot of more life left.

Tina