Old 01-07-2010, 05:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Return On Investment

In article ,
"songbird" wrote:

Billy wrote:
We were talking garden soils so she segues into forestry. She is
either dense or a troll.

we were talking about
feeding the world using
organic methods vs.
current agri-chem-oil.

asides and tangents happen
in usenet.

songbird (for most bird species the male sings

Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 22:50:20
"actually, what i am wondering more and more
about is while i'm sure that some of the things
that plants make are ok for us, many other
substances are either going to be somewhat
toxic or neutral and the end result is that the liver
is the primary sorting ground. so any nutritional
studies which do not analyze long term liver
function/toxicity are basically crap.

all these chemicals that plants make to defend
themselves from predators (including herbivores/
omnivores i.e. us) at some level will be doing
some damage and perhaps organic gardening
which increases certain chemicals may be increasing
the burden on the liver. we really are not very far
along in this sort of "entire system" analysis when it
comes to all the chemicals the body can ingest
and the waste products and how they are transported
and etc... some things are stored in fats and thus in
the fatty cells in the body. some things come out of
the fats given certain diets and such, etc. all of this
is not really completely understood either.

take it all in combination and we are many years
from "knowledge" in the sense of completeness, but
at least we are on the way if we don't manage to do
ourselves in first. it's a race IMO. considering what
we knew a hundred years ago we've made a lot of
progress, but much of what we know now is still
likely to be flat out wrong. i trust science to figure
it out eventually, i do not trust "organic religion" any
more than i trusted "atkins diet religion" when that
became a craze." (quotation marks are mine, lack of punctuation, and
capitals, is all songbird's)
-------

So that is what we were talking about, this crazy organic gardening
thing. You know, the way in which all food was grown before 1945.

So now you propose that eating the way we did before 1945, and reaping
the benefit of flavonoids as we did before 1945 is some kind of "organic
religion".
----

Then on Mon, 28 Jun 2010 23:53:45, I try to show carbon sequestration
in the soil, in part by describing the flora and fauna found in good
garden soil, and you are off to the races with "forest floor ecologies".
We were discussing organic gardening, and suddenly this bright, flashy
thing came to your mind, that had nothing to do with what we were
discussing, and now it's "Save the Leaf Litter". Are you ADHD by any
chance?

I repeat. You are either very dense or a troll.
--
- Billy
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/6/2...al_crime_scene