Old 01-07-2010, 05:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Return On Investment

In article ,
phorbin wrote:

In article wildbilly-DC0460.08400230062010@c-61-68-245-
199.per.connect.net.au, says...
In article ,
phorbin wrote:

In article ,
says...
In article ,
phorbin wrote:

In article ,

says...

the words "good soil" were used
in reference to "50 worms per sq ft".
not all good soil contains worms.
in some places they are invasive and
destructive.

Better give a citation for this one.

http://www.wormdigest.org/content/view/89/2/

...but I wanted songbird to do the work.

That said, I knew about the Euroworms in North America but hadn't
thought about their takeover affecting native species.

It's not a matter of native species. Apparently, northern forests have
adapted to piles of un-decomposed leaves. The invasive earthworms do
just what all gardeners want them to do, they decompose the leaf litter,
thereby changing the forest environment. It is my understanding that
this changed environment "may" threaten some species of trees, and
plants, but has not done so, so far. Probably need a forester to answer
this question.

Sorry, native species of plant life.

The word "may" is probably playing it too safe.

Now that I've had a bit of a think and before I go out to lay down mulch
and encourage euroworm migration into a sandy area most recently
occupied by forsythia, it would seem a reasonable bet that some plant
species have been lost to Euroworm's penchant for survival in the colder
northern climates and appetite for leaf litter.

Gotta fly...

Wikipedia doesn't mention that any plant species have been lost. Why do
you? Can you say, beyond a reasonable doubt, that species have been lost?

"SAVE THE LEAF LITTER"
--
- Billy
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/6/2...al_crime_scene