Old 01-07-2010, 01:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
phorbin phorbin is offline

Default Return On Investment

In article wildbilly-CE9EA3.21163430062010@c-61-68-245-
199.per.connect.net.au, says...

Sorry, native species of plant life.

The word "may" is probably playing it too safe.

Now that I've had a bit of a think and before I go out to lay down mulch
and encourage euroworm migration into a sandy area most recently
occupied by forsythia, it would seem a reasonable bet that some plant
species have been lost to Euroworm's penchant for survival in the colder
northern climates and appetite for leaf litter.

Gotta fly...

Wikipedia doesn't mention that any plant species have been lost. Why do
you? Can you say, beyond a reasonable doubt, that species have been lost?

"SAVE THE LEAF LITTER"

A fair comment.

I have just enough time to drink my morning coffee, and rub a few
thoughts together and say something mildly irksome. Then I'm away to
weed someone's garden.

I'm reasoning on the fly and not claiming my reasoning as a statement of
fact. Someone else may have the facts. It's summer busy season and right
now I have just a little time for reasoning, and no time for research.

I trust Wikipedia up to a point.

I think it is beyond reasonable doubt that species have been lost but to
work that one out properly I would probably have to be able to go to the
native peoples' and ask if their oral tradition names plants that have
vanished from the landscape and at least correlate the loss with the
change in forest floor. -- Or maybe someone's already done the work.

Anyway, coffee's finished. NOT looking forward to today.

I have a giant hogweed to deal with. I'm glad it's in someone else's
garden.

Wish me luck.