Old 01-07-2010, 02:33 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Laying new lawn - some questions

On Jun 29, 2:16*pm, "songbird" wrote:
ressull wrote:
Hi, I am looking to lay around 60sq.m of turf in my garden and have
some questions.

* are you just filling in the pathways of
already existing gardens or starting
from scratch?

* can you describe the surrounding layout
more? *are there any ditches next to that
spot? *trees? *etc...

* sorry, can't say anything about costs,
i'm not from the uk.

* songbird

I'd get screened topsoil sufficient for a depth of 6". While your
area isn't huge, it's probably larger than you want to do using bags
from the garden center. Also will be less expensive and easier if
you get it delivered by a small truck load. Here in the states they
advertise in the newspaper classifieds. Or you can probably find
someone in the business listings under topsoil or landscape supply,
etc. Figure out how many cubic yards you need and then will quote
you a price. Test the PH and adjust as necessary. It's common for
topsoil like this to need adjustment.

For turf, make sure what you get is suited to the use, ie is it full
sun, shade, heavy traffic, etc. Another consideration is some grass
looks better than others, but the trade off is it requires more
maintenance, so it's better suited to someone who wants a first class
front lawn, as opposed to someone who is using it for a backyard and
isn't as fussy.