Old 01-07-2010, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mentalguy2k8[_2_] Mentalguy2k8[_2_] is offline

Default What flies are these in my house?

"AriesVal" wrote in message
On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 12:12:01 +0100, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

They're black and smaller than house flies. We're getting a lot in the
garden, they seem to fly/hover aimlessly underneath the washing on the
line
(like gnats), but never seem to land on anything.

Same indoors, they congregate in the middle of the room, sometimes a
dozen
or two, just moving around underneath the ceiling fan, never seeming to
land
on anything. They're coming in through an open door (although an almost
full-lenght curtain is across it, the breeze lifts it at times and we
seriously need the fresh air)

I'll try and get a photo later on, but does anyone have any ideas what
they
are, and how to get rid of them? I'm getting tired zapping them with my
electronic fly-swat

Window screens are the answer, well that is what my American friends keep
telling me!

It's an option, but they are annoying in the garden, too. They seem to like
hovering at around head-height along the path underneath the washing line,
but I'm wondering where they are coming from and what they eat... as I said
before, they never seem to land on anything like house flies do. There is a
"cloud" of anything between 1 and 2 dozen in the garden and around 10
indoors... but no matter how many I kill, there always seems to be the same
number inside and out!