Old 02-07-2010, 06:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Raymond RUSSELL Raymond RUSSELL is offline

Default Advice please - Self-propelled walk-behind petrol-driven mowers

Hello all

At present I use a 2-stroke push-it-yourself mower
which after nearly 20 years is slowly getting too weak.
I am considering a new 4-stroke self-propelled walk-behind machine
but have no experience using one.
I mow about 2000 m2 of varied smooth / rough.

On such machines
can one vary the blade speed
(as I can on my old 2-stroke)
or is this fixed at one pitch ?
I prefer to mow at lower revs
rather than whining away at full throttle.
This makes mowing less noisy.

Can one push and pull a self-propelled mower
back and forth in and out of corners, under hedges etc. ?

Best regards and thanks in advance from
Ray