Old 02-07-2010, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Muddymike Muddymike is offline

Default Advice please - Self-propelled walk-behind petrol-driven mowers

"Raymond RUSSELL" wrote in message
r...
Hello all

At present I use a 2-stroke push-it-yourself mower
which after nearly 20 years is slowly getting too weak.
I am considering a new 4-stroke self-propelled walk-behind
machine
but have no experience using one.
I mow about 2000 m2 of varied smooth / rough.

I have owned a self propelled (by a rear roller) Hayter Harrier
for 13 years and have used it for taming overgrown areas as well
as regular mowing of a neat lawn.

On such machines
can one vary the blade speed
(as I can on my old 2-stroke)
or is this fixed at one pitch ?

It has a throttle control but the difference in noise levels at
full and low throttle seems very small. It seems to need full
throttle to effectively fill the grass box though. I think you
will find modern four stroke mowers a lot quieter than an old two
stroke, as long as you opt for a quality machine.

Can one push and pull a self-propelled mower
back and forth in and out of corners, under hedges etc. ?

Yes. Just release the drive control and it can be pushed/pulled
quite easily.

Mike