Old 02-07-2010, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Advice please - Self-propelled walk-behind petrol-driven mowers

In article ,
says...
Hello all

At present I use a 2-stroke push-it-yourself mower
which after nearly 20 years is slowly getting too weak.
I am considering a new 4-stroke self-propelled walk-behind machine
but have no experience using one.
I mow about 2000 m2 of varied smooth / rough.

On such machines
can one vary the blade speed
(as I can on my old 2-stroke)
or is this fixed at one pitch ?
I prefer to mow at lower revs
rather than whining away at full throttle.
This makes mowing less noisy.

Can one push and pull a self-propelled mower
back and forth in and out of corners, under hedges etc. ?

Best regards and thanks in advance from
Ray

You can throttle back but you will find your speed over the ground a bit
slow, I got rid of my self propelled mower years ago and find the job
takes a lot less time with a motor rotary that you push, they are a lot
cheaper, lighter, and there is less to go wrong, sit on tractor types may
be a lot better but the ones you walk behind seem designed for 80 year
olds with bad hips. But then I am always trying to get the grass done in
a hurry, if you like to take your time it presumably isn't an issue!

You will find all modern 4 strokes much quieter than your present mower
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk