Old 02-07-2010, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

Default Gallows as an effective deterrent??

On Jul 2, 2:32*pm, Janet Baraclough
wrote:
The message
from "Ragnar" contains these words:

The 'gamekeeper's gibbet' is something I have only seen once in my life and
never expect to see again. The 'game' in my case was moles. Obviously a
string of dead moles on a barbed wire fence is not likely to be a deterrent
to other moles!

* * Our molecatcher did that up until 10 years ago. He regarded it as
professional *advertising, and *proof he
*wasn't *touting *the same dead moles round successive clients.

* * Janet.

The sort of repulsive custom known and expected of a certain type of
gamekeeper by a certain kind of landowner. Absolutely out of order and
pointless for a 'gardener'
Magpies do no harm whatsoever in a garden (might just strip the odd
pod of peas as a jay will)
Killing squirrels is pointless anyway, there's plenty more where they
came from so just protect your soft fruit by caging the bed, that
means wire netting for squirrels - they'll destroy anything else if
there's cherries or strawberries the other side.

Rod