Old 02-07-2010, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle Mike Lyle is offline

Default What's the "smelliest" lavender or other plant?

AriesVal wrote:
On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 20:43:57 +0100, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

I've read that English lavender is the most fragrant. We've got a
few pots of other lavender growing but it doesn't smell unless you
rub the leaves.

What's the best type that will smell good as it's growing? Any other
very fragrant plant suggestions would be excellent, thank you. The
idea is that one smallish section of the garden is going to be a
seating/plant area and I'd like it to smell as nice as possible.

Herbs like Bay, Sage and Rosemary smell nice, and wild rambling roses
nearly always have a wonderful fragrance. Magnolia has a deep
gorgeous scent whe in blossom. Chamomile has a scent too.

I'm sure there will be many other suggestions too.

Isn't /Lavandula stoechas/the French extra-smelly one? But a summer seat
should be near a good stand of sweet peas: not perennial, of course, but
I've always kicked myself brutally in the years when I've forgotten, or
been unable, to grow them.

A propos, I do wish it were possible to standardize the way seed
catalogues describe the scent of each variety. How is a small gardener,
buying only a packet or two, to choose between these? ...

very fragrant
highly scented
unforgettable perfume
heady scent
so fragrant
the most beautiful scent
exceptional fragrance
super-scented
sweetly scented
beautifully fragrant
extremely fragrant
richly perfumed
wonderfully perfumed
lovely scent
strong and delicious fragrance

All from a single catalogue (Chiltern, of course).

And while I'm on my soapbox, hands up all those who'd cast into the
lowest dungeon those rogues and vagabonds who breed and sell things
called "sweet peas" which have hardly any scent.

--
Mike.