Old 03-07-2010, 12:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Moore Bob Moore is offline

Default What's the "smelliest" lavender or other plant?

On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 20:43:57 +0100, "Mentalguy2k8"
wrote:

I've read that English lavender is the most fragrant. We've got a few pots
of other lavender growing but it doesn't smell unless you rub the leaves.

I've grown lavender for many years as a low hedge and tried several
varieties. By far the best for scent was one called "Lullingstone
Castle", presumably after the house and garden.

It's listed here as Lavandula X intermedia:

http://www.thelavenderg.co.uk/catalogue.htm

Strongly scented is right... just brushing past it as I got out of the
car would mean I couldn't smell anything but lavender for the next
five minutes. Tends to get very broad and also woody after a few years
though. Bit big for growing in a pot.