Old 03-07-2010, 02:03 PM
Alan Anglesey Alan Anglesey is offline
Registered User

[quote='louisxiv[_3_];892892']Hi

A couple of newbie questions re Ground Elder which is taking over my
shrub beds.

----
Ground elder, well described above is a pernicious weed the roots of which travel into my garden from next door (under a wall). It is easy enough to prevent flowers forming but it is the roots that cause the main spread. Where it is easy to do so I use weed-killer but generally a hoeing reduces its strength and it can be overcome by other fast-growing, ground cover plants. I burn all the parts of the plant that I clear out.

In my woodland garden it has competition from wild garlic and from Tuberous Comfrey - Symphytum tuberosum (though that plant also is very invasive).