Old 03-07-2010, 03:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
Una Una is offline

Default Recomendation for a small tree puller

TomJoad wrote:
I have all sorts of volunteers growing on my property - privet, fig,
walnut, etc. If I cut them off they just grow back,

[...]
I am not talking about large trunks, but up to a maximum of one inch
diameter.

None of the mentioned puller devices are intended for your application.

Suckers much under 1 inch diameter are too small and soft for any puller
device that clamps on the stem. Also, because in past years you cut off
suckers, the root mass will be much larger than for an untouched sapling.

I would use a Pulaski or mattock type axe or a pickaxe to grub out the
root. Best time to do this is after a heavy rain. Have the axe blades
sharpened before you use it; for safety, these axes are sold with dull
blades.

For really difficult stumps, especially trees with a tap root, I also
use a hand winch and chain.

Una