Old 03-07-2010, 04:44 PM posted to rec.gardens
raycruzer raycruzer is offline

Default Recomendation for a small tree puller

On Jul 3, 7:31*am, (Una) wrote:
TomJoad wrote:
I have all sorts of volunteers growing on my property - privet, fig,
walnut, etc. *If I cut them off they just grow back,

[...]
I am not talking about large trunks, but up to a maximum of one inch
diameter.

None of the mentioned puller devices are intended for your application.

Suckers much under 1 inch diameter are too small and soft for any puller
device that clamps on the stem. *Also, because in past years you cut off
suckers, the root mass will be much larger than for an untouched sapling.

I would use a Pulaski or mattock type axe or a pickaxe to grub out the
root. *Best time to do this is after a heavy rain. *Have the axe blades
sharpened before you use it; *for safety, these axes are sold with dull
blades.

For really difficult stumps, especially trees with a tap root, I also
use a hand winch and chain.

* * * * Una

Small suckers may be effectively uprooted by the weed twister made by
Ergonica. See tree-of-heaven examples at weedtwister.com .
I make these tools!

Ray