Old 03-07-2010, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What is glyphosate?

In message , Timothy Murphy
writes

Just an idle question, but is glyphosate
the same as Roundup?

Glyphosate is N-(phosphonomethyl)glycine. This is a compound which
interferes with the shikimic acid pathway in plant metabolism inhibiting
the synthesis of some amino acids, and thus protein synthesis.

Roundup is a formulation including glyphosate as its active ingredient,
but also including surfactants to increase plant update of the
glyphosate. Tumbleweed is another formulation. (I'd tell you to read the
label to find out what the active ingredient is in a herbicide, but on
several occasions I've found them opaque.)

I believe that on occasion that active ingredient in a weedkiller has
been changed, but the brand name retained. So perhaps it's better to
avoid the use of brand names.

I notice people on this group have suddenly started
talking about glyphosate;
I don't recall seeing it mentioned until recently.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley