Old 03-07-2010, 09:53 PM
Jossy Jossy is offline
Registered User

Default Edible berry?

Hello

There have been many posts about edible berries but I could not find anything that looks like the one I'm after so please forgive a newbie if this has been handled before.

I have a 6m tree/shrub in my garden with black berries, end of June / beginning of July in central London, England. The tree attracts wood pigeons. I tasted the berries and they are sweet with low acidity and a slight almond aftertaste (cyanide??? heeelp!!!). I made a jam and then decided to post on this forum before I went ahead and poisoned my whole family :-)

My guess is that it is some sort of whitebeam (the leaves are slightly whiter below than above.)

I am including a few photos. If anyone out there has sufficient expertise to give me a definite identification I would be ever so grateful.

Jossy
Attached Thumbnails
Edible berry?-img_0327_2.jpg   Edible berry?-img_0328_2.jpg   Edible berry?-img_0329_2.jpg   Edible berry?-img_0330_2.jpg