Old 03-07-2010, 10:04 PM posted to rec.gardens
homer homer is offline

Default Recomendation for a small tree puller

On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 16:06:31 -0700, TomJoad wrote:

I have all sorts of volunteers growing on my property - privet, fig,
walnut, etc. If I cut them off they just grow back,

After looking online I discover that there are four manufacturers that
are in common use. They are brushgrubber, extractigator, weed wrench
and puller bear.

After seeing it on "Ask This Old House" I had ordered the
brushgrabber.

The brushgrubber does not work. All it does is peel of the bark and
will not grab the trunk. I am sending it back.

Can someone give be some recommendations on the other manufacturers.
I am not talking about large trunks, but up to a maximum of one inch
diameter.

Thank you.

My weed wrench does a good job on trunks up to 1 inch, the biggest
model. However, it is still a lot of work to wrench them from the
ground. I wish it had a longer handle.

It does not handle multistemmed bushes very well and it has a tendency
to sink into soft ground when prying so I sometimes lay a board on the
ground first.

I cleared out a big patch of Buckthorne this spring but there were a
few I just could not get. They tended to be the bigger trunks over 1
inch. It isnt that it wouldnt grip and grab, it's that I couldnt pull
it from the ground even with all my weight on the lever. I really need
to get another person to help.