Old 03-07-2010, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
bobharvey bobharvey is offline

Default Advice please - Self-propelled walk-behind petrol-driven mowers

On 2 July, 06:51, "Raymond RUSSELL" wrote:
Hello all

At present I use a 2-stroke push-it-yourself mower
which after nearly 20 years is slowly getting too weak.
I am considering a new 4-stroke self-propelled walk-behind machine
but have no experience using one.
I mow about 2000 m2 of varied smooth / rough.

I have something broadly similar

On such machines
can one vary the blade speed
(as I can on my old 2-stroke)
or is this fixed at one pitch ?
I prefer to mow at lower revs
rather than whining away at full throttle.
This makes mowing less noisy.

I've just bought a John Deere which cuts nicely at lower revs - the
fan deals with the cuttings.

Yhe wheel drive has a variable speed separate from the motor revs

Can one push and pull a self-propelled mower
back and forth in and out of corners, under hedges etc. ?

Yep. Just drop the drive clutch.
Oh yes