Old 04-07-2010, 12:26 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default major rain now major algae bloom

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 08:06:06 EDT, "
wrote:

Ok, if I don't have enough string algae to pull it out, but my water
is completly green, can't even see the fish! What is my best option.
Two weeks ago, I treated it with products, cost me 60$ and it's all
back this week. I can't keep forking out 60$ every two weeks. There
must be a better solution. I have no room to add a plant filter. My
pond is 15 by 21, 2 feet at it's deepest with a waterfall and bioball
filter.
Help please!
Martine in Ottawa

Pond chemical$ bad... because you have to keep adding... and eventually
even they don't work. A pond has to hit a natural balance.

I'm going to assume we're not talking about a koi-only pond, I think most
of those folks have gone to koi-only forum now days. Thus my advice is
based on koi/goldfish ponds w/plants (veggie filters included).

Age of pond plays a big deal. If you put more time & money into plants
instead of fish, you can often skip the first season of green water. A UV
can also rid one of green water, but watch your water quality. Algae really
is a ponder's friend, it is the canary indicator that something isn't
balanced. In spring often that is higher plants haven't woke up, thus you
need to treat for nitrates. Assuming you have a good clean water source,
water changes help. Koi pond people rid themselves of nitrates by using a
flow thru system, a little in and a little out on a continuous basis, just
like mother nature. Or trickle towers/filter showers have proven to rid one
of nitrates. Even PP treatments, but that's hard-core know-how.

String algae. 2nd year menace for most, rake out what floats to the top or
settles on the bottom and leave the rest alone. Pretend you have a big
magic rock kit...and the only color you got was green. ;-)

3rd season things really settle down usually, if the ponder hasn't messed
things up using chemicals or draining the pond & scrubbing the liner.
Plants high in #, fish low in #s. Filtration as much as you can afford.
Bigger is definitely better, as it means less maintenance for you.

This year we've had LOTS of rain and cool temps for us. I got dred locks
string algae in my upper pond. Many experienced ponders were like, rake it
out... I used my method of raking off the surface and/or bottom. My pond is
15 years old, I knew it would easily kick this if I was patient. 2 weeks
later, all gone.

I'm so fond of Algae that I named my cat Algee. ;-) ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us