Old 05-07-2010, 01:55 AM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Invasive weed/grass in my lawn

On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 08:34:52 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

brooklyn1 wrote:
On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 14:00:56 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) "
wrote:

I have the invasive grass/weed shown in the picture in many places in
my lawn. The spots of weeds pop up with no apparent source. They
do no respond to weed killer, and they crowd out regular lawn grass.
I am in the Chicago suburbs. Can anyone tell me what the grayish
green grass/weed is and how to get rid of it?

I cannot say what it is but why is it so objectionable? Why must lawn be
one species?

They needn't be, except depending on the area involved... smaller
lawns are not very esthetically appealing when filled with patches of
different types of plants.... with larger areas one cannot see the
imperfections over great distances. My lawn is compased of probably a
hundred different plants but unless one walks about and looks up close
and personal they'd never know that not too long ago it was a hay
field, there's very little real lawn grass... if not for my regular
mowing it would be a wildflower meadow:
http://i49.tinypic.com/166evys.jpg