Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
kush

Default What else needed?

* Build a hood with 4-6 standard 48" flourescent bulbs. This route
is significantly cheaper, and according to many list members it
works well, but it takes more work on your part.

But compacts supposedly last longer, needing to be replaced every 18 months,
as opposed to every 6 months for standards.

If going the Compact Flourescent route, bulb temperatures of 5000K-6700K

are the
right range. Actinic and deeper blue bulbs are for specific sal****er
applications.

In my opinion, plants look nicer at the low end (5300k available from AH)
but the fish are sort of "yellowed-out." I'd recommend mixing them up, say
6700k's in the front strip and 5300k's in the back.

kush

"You can't have everything - where would you put it?"