Old 05-07-2010, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Allotment nightmare

"Dave Liquorice" wrote ...
Peter James wrote:

But, today the agricultural fencing contractor starts to erect the
rabbit prooff fence, and being a believer in belt and bracers, I've put
my own 3' fence in as well. So damn 'em, see if they can get through
that lot.

Did you bury the bottom edge of your fence 18" down and extend
outwards 12" like an uppercase "L"? If not the little beggers may
well dig or push under it. I hope that the contractor is burrying the
edge or it ain't going to be "rabbit proof" either.

I only buried it about 9 inches but with all the bricks and stones in the
soil we just covered the edge with stones, you have to keep it clear of
weeds etc, anyway to see if they are trying to get in.
Pigeons, we bought a 6m x 6m fruit cage for our brassicas and move it every
year in accordance with our 4 year rotation. Takes 2 of us a morning. You
can make up smaller movable cages and cover them with netting, just throwing
netting over the plants is not much good, the little buggers just sit on it
and peck through IME. Don't forget you will need to get at the plants for
weeding etc. and a loose net is a right pain in that respect, also dangerous
for wildlife.
How about moles, rats and mice? Got any of those? :-(
Forked a mouse whilst digging up some earlies today!
--
Regards
Bob Hobden