Old 06-07-2010, 03:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Lawn Problem

On Jul 5, 11:50*am, paddyd wrote:
Hi all,

I'm new on here. I need abit of advice regarding my lawn. I moved into
my new house about 18months ago. My lawn in my backgarden is a rolled
turf one. I watered the lawn everyday for quite a while and even put
some seeds on it to help it grow.

We still have problems with it being patchy in places and the edges are
just brown and never grow. Being a new development i asked my builder
about the lawn and i was informed it would take a while to mature.

18 months on and i decided to put a shed in the garden, so i dug up part
of the lawn to put a base down for the shed. I lifted some grass and
noticed it was like a medium gravel below the turf, no top soil
anywhere. Also the turf was water logged and the gravel was bone dry. I
dug an area of 3.5m x 2.5m for the shed base, i never saw one worm in
the turf and no top soil, i did lift a piece of plywood lying below the
turf tho!!!!

Again i've questioned the builder on the way the turf was put down but
still informed its ok. Am i right in saying there should be no gravel
but top spoil below the turf, at least 4"????

Sorry for the long post but this is really starting to annoy me and i
just want some advice as too how the turf should have been laid.

Many thanks for taking the time to read.

--
paddyd

Take some photos and confront the builder, he is a scumbag. You are
100% on the money.